Saturday, October 29, 2011

Snippet Saturday--Thrilling

This week's theme is (of course) thrilling, considering it's the month for chills and thrills. I chose a scene from So Sensitive. I hope you like it!


When she heard the pinging sound again, Gracie quickly switched over to the other line. “Hello?”

“Ms. Baron?”

“Yes, this is Ms. Baron. Can I help you?”

“This is Frank Gaetz. I’m a friend of your father’s. He asked me to call you.”

She wasn’t aware her father even had friends. Concerned now, Gracie asked, “My father?”

“Yes, ma’am. He’s been in an accident. It’s pretty bad.”

Gracie paled. “Oh, God. Where is he?”

 “He’s at Saint Mary’s Hospital.”

Saint Mary’s was just a few blocks away. “I’ll be there as soon as I can.” Gracie slammed her phone shut and shot out of her chair. After grabbing her purse from beneath the desk, Gracie headed toward the elevator. She stopped short when she realized she had no ride. Damn! Wade was her ride, and he wasn’t due for another hour. Gracie looked around the office and spotted her boss, Marie, explaining something to a coworker. She headed toward her. “Marie?” The gray-haired woman looked up and smiled. “Can I talk to you for a second?”

“Sure, Gracie.” Marie closed the distance between them. “What do you need?”

“I just received a call. My dad’s been in an accident.” Gracie’s hands shook as she thought of her father lying helpless in a hospital bed. He might be a drunk, but he was still her father.

“Oh, no!”

“I need to go to him, but I don’t have a car. I hate to trouble you—” Gracie stopped midsentence. She hated to ask the woman for a favor after she’d been generous enough to give her the time off after the accident. But what choice did she have?

Marie held her hand in the air. “Think nothing of it. Just let me grab my keys.”

Gracie stopped her before she could rush off to her office. “You have that conference call at noon with those suppliers. You can’t miss that, it’s much too important.”

Marie frowned. “Shoot, I forgot about that.”

“If I could just borrow your car? Normally I wouldn’t ask, but I’m really worried about my dad.”

“Of course, Gracie. Don’t know why I didn’t think of it myself. Let me get my keys. Be right back.”   

Gracie watched her hurry off. Grateful all over again for having such an understanding boss. When Marie came rushing back to her, handing the keys over, she said, “Will can swing by and get me, go ahead and keep it until morning.”

“Thanks, Marie. I’ll take very good care of it, I promise.”

Marie tsked. “You’re the most reliable person I know, Gracie. I’m not worried.”

Gracie smiled and thanked her again, then headed for the elevator. She hit the down button and waited. The elevator doors opened another man was inside, but she barely noticed him. Her mind was on her father. The last she’d heard her father didn’t have a license. So, how could he have been in an accident? As an afterthought, Gracie sent Wade a quick text, explaining where she was headed.

Gone to St. Mary’s. Dad’s been in an accident.

As the doors opened, Gracie tucked her phone into her purse and sprinted across the parking lot, easily locating Marie’s black BMW. Just as she hit the Unlock button, a hand closed over her mouth. A sweet-smelling odor filled her mouth and nostrils. She tried to scream, but no sound came out. Gracie reached into her purse, hoping to grab the mace Wade had insisted she carry that morning, but the words filling her ears sent a chill down her spine, freezing her in place.

“I’m very disappointed in you, Gracie Lynn. I thought after that last lesson I was forced to teach you that you’d be more circumspect in the company you keep.”

No, it couldn’t be. Gracie struggled harder, kicking out with her legs, using her fingernails to claw at the hand clasped tightly over her mouth and nose. She heard him curse, but he didn’t release her. She fought harder, tried to kick him in the shin, but her legs felt like rubber. What was wrong with her? Suddenly, her vision blurred. Oh, God, he’d drugged her. Gracie felt herself being lifted into the air, and then there was nothing but darkness.

If you enjoyed that then you should check out these other snippets!

Eliza Gayle
Mari Carr
McKenna Jeffries
Mandy M Roth
Myla Jackson
Taige Crenshaw
Selena Blake
Vivian Arend
Alison Kent
Beth-Ann Mason
HelenKay Dimon
Shelli Stevens
Lauren Dane
Lacey Savage
TJ Michaels
Shiloh Walker



A Little Bit Naughty--out now!
http://annerainey.com

No comments:

Post a Comment